ruffles and flowers ~ grateful daily

when in Rome, do as the Romans do?
or in my case, as Mainers do. Seems like many gals around here like to do hand-crafts over the long winter months. Makes sense: sitting by a crackling fire, wearing cozy wool socks, nursing a hot cup’o tea, and crafting while it’s snowing outside. So, in the spirit of New England crafting (and due to long hours on bed-rest with little to do :)) I have picked up a new hobby. Knitting!

Ta daaaa…this newborn hat is the result of my first labor of love for the baby. I just had to make something girly. I hope you’re duly impressed because I’m claiming full bragging rights to the fact that I made it all by myself!!! I have the finger cramps to prove it. I may remove the flower as it is HUGE but not sure yet. But hey, I finally get to put flowers on things and I’m milking the chance for all it’s worth.

Due to the lack of willing and cheery models around here (sheesh, these boys are soooooo particular about what they’ll let me dress them in!) I had to improvise and Penguin had step up to the plate.

grateful daily ~ 19

My friend Bridget (who sells adorable knit longies on her etsy shop showed me how to cast on (start up a row of knitting) and do the only stitch this hat required, the knit stitch. Then I watched some you-tube tutorials on the basics and went for it. The “Flirty Hat” is a very simple Jen Braico pattern Bridget found for Free-woopeee (though Shawn doesn’t want the word ‘flirty’ in anything having to do with the baby so we’ll just call it a Ruffle hat instead!).

All I needed was one skein of yarn for the hat, and some other colored yarn for the flower (I got this lovely wool/soy natural fiber blend at Michaels). For needles I used a circular size 8 knitting needle, and a set of size 5 double pointed needles, and one crochet hook for the flower.

Interested in starting knitting and/or crocheting? Here are some of the video tutorials that taught me. It’s amazing what you can learn online!
The flower is crocheted (? how on earth does one spell that??). She also has a blog on the how-to’s of crochet.
This site has a bunch of simple video tutorials grouped together. It also has a very simple hat pattern available or I can forward you the ruffle hat pattern I made.
my favorite video on using Double pointed needles.

November 24, 2008 - 5:03 pm

Life on The Rowland Ranch - Some blog love coming your way…
Woweeee! Zoweeeee!! I’m so impressed! Really! Shipra, you WOW me time and time again! The hat is adorable! Can’t wait to see pictures of precious one in her hat! Love you!

November 24, 2008 - 6:03 pm

Khush - ADORABLE!!!! You are so good at everything you do!

November 24, 2008 - 10:45 pm

Traci - I LOVE THE HAT!!!!! It is so beautiful. I can’t wait to see your precious little girl in it. She is going to look soooo… sweet. Please send me the link to the pattern, I would love to make one for Selah.

November 24, 2008 - 11:46 pm

Sherrie - You go girl! Love it!

November 25, 2008 - 12:43 am

Amy Moody - You go, girl! Can’t believe you made on your first time knitting :-)

I GOTTA GOTTA have this pattern ~ can’t wait to try it.

Amy

November 25, 2008 - 3:11 am

Vicki - I am so JEALOUS!!!! I ahve tried knitting like 4 times and I cant!!!!::(((

November 25, 2008 - 3:12 am

Vicki - Ok and I cant spell maybe I should go to bed!!

November 25, 2008 - 3:59 pm

The Panosian Perspective - Yes you can, Vicki. If you can make tortillas from scratch, and grow a veggie garden, you can absolutely learn to knit. Use you-tube!

Amy, Traci, I’ll email you guys the pattern.

November 26, 2008 - 12:22 am

Friender - Shipra the hat is adorable! I just wrote you back. You can link to me at friender.blogspot.com and you can find me on http://www.ravelry.com as Friender.

Keep on knitting! – Jen

November 26, 2008 - 4:58 am

Carel - SO CUTE! I want to make one too. I just taught Sophie to crochet today. She did so well. We planned to start with a wash cloth and ended up making a 3″ square doll house rug. Hey, she is 7 and you’ve got to start somewhere. I’m so proud of her, and you too Shipra. That hat is AMAZING!!!

December 21, 2008 - 5:00 am

Heather - Wow, what a cute hat!

April 29, 2010 - 12:53 pm

April - Yes…Shippee…you are the best at anything you set your mind to!